10/18/2014

Gear and Equipment.


:: Software
. Ableton Live
I currently use the Standard edition as it does everything I need, mostly used for recording my synths into, simple sequencing and chopping samples. usually finish all my music in Live. I prefer this software over all others but that may changes as software evolves.

. Magix Acid
When I feel like making a simple track with lots of manual sample chopping I go for ACID, it's pretty much what I standardized in. Got it when it was still Sony ACID. Used it a few times for mixing down.

. FLStudio Producer Edition
Always had FLStudio but slowly drifted away from it, still a good software for making beats and melodies in that I will move to ACID or Live.

. Audiomulch
Use this for live ambient work, great for a virtual modular environment and works wonderfully with all my VST's. Most of "Monolith At Dawn" was made in Audiomulch. I have an old netbook loaded up with Audiomulch as it makes a great effects processor for my hardware synths and guitars.




:: Sequencers
. Elektron Digitakt
My current favorite piece of gear, use this for sequencing both beats and melodies, when I play live I use it for main melodies. Run it through a few pedals but will upgrade to an Analog Heat at some point. Love it for Granular Synthesis.

. Elektron Octatrack MK2
Still getting used to this, I plan on using this as part of my live setup mostly focusing on melodies and rhythmic stems. My digitakt is mostly used for percussion.

. Electribe ES1, EM1 and EA1
I love my ES1 sampler/sequencer, it is one of my oldest hardware synths and I actually used to have 2, one for drums and one for melodies. Will be buying more at some point. Love the EM1 great for travel jamming and making ambient techno tunes. Don't use my EA1 much anymore but I don't get the hate around it, it's done me great justice over the years and used it in most tracks on "Lugubrious". Want to get the ER1 so I can complete the original collection.

. Arturia Microbrute and Drumbrute
The Microbrute is another synth I want to get multiple of, I love it. My main unit is modded with a MIDI out which I might remove due to it being bulky but it's survived all kinds of falls and shocks. I love my Drumbrute but don't use it as much as I probably should. Might give it to ColbKeats in the future.

. Yamaha SU10 + SQ10
The SU10 gets used for LOFI sampling and simple sequencing. SQ10 is a bit of a bitch to program but I've used it's drum machine on occasion.



:: Effects Pedals and Processors
. Line 6 M5 Stompbox
This is in my main setup, I can midi it into my Digitakt and it's basically a budget Analog Heat. Love the reverb on it.

.Alesis Midiverb 3 (Rack Mount)
Great for bending and running C/V shocks through to get some crazy noises and effects results.

. Misc Behringer Pedals
I like to snap up all the cheap $20 Behringer pedals when I order online, I justify this by rolling the payment around to an even hundred or so. I bend them to add C/V Inputs and make them go nuts when syncd with my Microbrute.

.Elektron Analog Heat MK2
Part of my live and production setup, beautiful analog warmth.



:: Synths and Misc
. Behringer MS-1- Blk
Picked this up recently from sweetwater, as with everyone else I have always wanted a SH-101 but I will probably never be able to afford one or if I do I don;t want to pay for maintenance and getting bitched out by the internet for modding it. So the MS-1 will suit me just fine.


. Tascam 4 Track
This high quality tape recorder is bloody amazing, speed and pitch adjustments and tone control. I use this for Lofi sampling and building up tape loops. Also have used this to record live audio at friends shows.


. Marantz PMD201
Use this for jamming and as a simple pad synth sometimes. Made some BLEAKVIEW tracks on this.
I used to use a 4 track for making all my music on at one point using a Pause/Record method which I will get around to filming one day.

. iPhone 4s + 6
I use an old iPhone 4s bundled with some old apps I purchased for various tasks, my fav app being Wretchup and others by MOM Instruments. I also had an iPhone 6 which mostly gets used as a camera due to all the peripherals i got for it.

. Casio SK-8 + others
I found a badly beaten Casio SK-8 in a Goodwill and snapped it up for $5. A bit of care and cleaning and it was up in working order, use it now and again for lofi beat / pad samples and play it sometimes for its bizzare, lofi crunchiness. Also have a box full of misc old CASIO's and Yamahas, fun to use.

. U-Create Music
Another Goodwill find, like a childs version of a Kaoss Pad, ultra crazy and fun to mess with, wish someone would make some 3rd party software to load custom samples (message me if you can do that)

. Grand Piano
I actually have access to a grand piano which I will record chord stabs and such from, wish I knew how to actually play it.



:: Currently Seeking
. Hurdy Gurdy
. Violin
. Flute (one non electronic instrument I can actually play pretty well)
. Soviet Synths
. Original Kaossilators and Mini KP's (not the 2nd gen ones)