3/03/2015

Lugubrious (thoughts)

My new album has been made available for 24 hours now and after a sigh of relief, a few drinks and listening to it again I decided I would self review it as honestly as I could, also I don't write much so don't expect something great, just mental vomit.



Despite a lengthy history making all sorts of music and electronic being my biggest output, Lugubrious gives off the impression of virgin footsteps like that of foal (wonky attempts at a clear goal) and that sadly is what the album is, it was new territory for me by which I mean it was the first album I made that didn't consist of me using 4 tracks in FLStudio and the Glitch VST and making tracks in a matter of hours, I took my time and would listen back on tracks that I was excited working on with some disappointment.

Of course some of the tracks are clearly made in a small matter of hours but others took me weeks just to finally export a version of the track I was somewhat happy with or I would export a track and finally listen to it through a good set of headphones and not my laptop speakers to hear that I had mixed it down horribly, sometimes the reverse happened as with track 5 the corpse where everything was mixed down with a pair of bassy speakers (past the 2 minute mark a bass pulse almost like a rhythmic beat kicks in for those who can't hear it) and showing a friend the track on my iPhone resulted in us both hearing a high pitched string piece.

Despite its flaws I a happy to finally put it out, it really does fit the name which was only used as it sounded "artsy" but with waiting for an undelivered and still very late VISA and missing my family in the USA and the music that came out of that frustration I think its a good first album.

I'd give it 3/5 but mainly as the tracks are useful to me obviously.